Register Now

for a free relocation pack or a no obligation face-to-face tax consultation

T2UK visa review? Visa options explained!


The team here at Transition are proud to announce a recent partnership with People Force International, they provide specialist UK immigration services covering all corporate/individual matters and we have negotiated a 20% discount for our fellow antipodeans!


If you’re seeking UK immigration advice, why not register and speak with one of their qualified immigration specialists?


  • If you’d like to know if you qualify for immigration to the UK?
  • Explore sponsorship? (IT professionals)
  • Which class should you apply under?
  • What conditions do you need to satisfy? 
  • UK Visa extensions? 
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain?
  • UK citizenship?


Ancestry Visa


The UK Ancestry Visa is a visa which allows a Commonwealth citizen to immigrate to the UK with the freedom to live and work in Britain on the basis of their ancestral ties to the UK. 

Eligibility for UK Ancestry Visa:
Candidates for UK ancestry visa must be aged 17 or over and must be Commonwealth citizens. Candidates must have a grandparent who was born in the UK, Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man. Applications may be considered valid based upon the British birth of any one of your 4 grandparents, alive or deceased. (Please note that applications from candidates with a grandparent who was born in the Republic of Ireland before March 1922 are also valid) If you or one of your parents is adopted, you are still eligible. 



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Business Visa


A UK Business Visitor Visa allows an individual to travel and stay in the UK for up to a maximum of 6 months for business purposes. Business Visitor Visa's cover various types of business related trips such as attendance at a seminar or conference, a secondment or receiving training. 


Business Visit Visas are one of the best routes to the UK for business people who wish to make a short business trip. However these types of Visa's cannot cover any paid work taken on by the applicant. 


A Business Visit Visa can be arranged for a single entry or for numerous entries into the UK that is valid from two years up until a maximum of ten years although you can still only stay in the UK for a maximum period of 6 months at any one time. This means that there is no need for constant renewals every time a trip to the UK is needed for business purposes. Business Visit Visas can also be used by Artists who are entering the UK to attend interviews or to promote work such as a book or a film.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


British Citizenship 


British Citizenship can be applied for by those individuals who have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain and have held that status for one year. Some individuals may have an automatic right to British Citizenship based on their parents’ nationality and/or their place of birth whilst others may have a case for citizenship to be granted at the discretion of the Secretary of State. 



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06



Partners and children


In general, individuals who require a visa to enter and/or remain in the UK are entitled to have their direct family members accompany them for the length of their own stay in the UK provided the main applicant can support their dependants without recourse to public funds. Dependants may apply for a visa at the same time or after the main applicant.


A dependant is the partner (married or unmarried) and child of the main applicant. A partner must fall into one of the following categories in order to be eligible for the dependant visa:

  • Spouse;
  • Civil Partner;
  • Unmarried Partner (dependants must have lived with the main applicant for at least two years prior to the visa application in order to qualify under this provision);



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


EEA Residence Permit


A non-EEA national can apply for an EEA Family Permit and/or an EEA Residence Card. 

The EEA residence card will allow the holder to work freely in the UK, whether it is running a business, managing a company or just accepting offers of work. All these options can be undertaken without the requirement of a Work Permit; however there are different rules for those individuals and their family members from Croatia. 


Offers family members of EEA nationals a 5 year stay in the UK with full working rights. Family members of EEA nationals find it a lot easier to come to the UK to live and work thanpartners of British citizens do. No offer of employment is required however the EEA national must be exercising treaty rights in the UK, i.e. being a job seeker, working, being a student or being self-sufficient.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Entrepreneur Visa


If you wish to set up or take over a UK business to live and work in the UK the Tier 1 Entrepreneur category will allow you to do this. You must show that you have at least £200,000 available for investment into a new or existing business. To extend this visa certain rules must be met such as the creation of at least two new full-time jobs for UK residents. Funds made available by third parties, such as family or investors, may also be taken into account.


Applicants can also qualify if they have access to at least £50,000 obtained from regulated venture capital firms. A Prospective Entrepreneur visitor category has been introduced for entrepreneurs to come to the UK for discussions to secure funding.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Fiancé(e) Visa


If you are engaged to someone who is British, has the Right of Abode or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then you may be able to apply to join them here as their fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. You cannot apply for this visa from inside the UK.


This visa will allow you to come to the UK for a period of 6 months during which time you must marry. Once married you will then be allowed to extend your stay under the UK Settlement visa rules (subject to meeting those requirements). An applicant applying for a fiancé(e) visa must meet the Home Office’s financial requirement rules.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Settlement Visa


The UK Settlement visa category enables a husband, wife, civil partner, proposed civil partner or unmarried partner of a British national or a person who is settled in the UK to apply for leave to enter, or leave to remain in the country.


Visas are issued for an initial 30 month period and can be extended for a further period of 30 months. Children of the marriage/partnership who are under 18 years of age are granted entry to the UK as dependants in line with the main applicant.


After 5 years in the UK under the spouse/marriage visa category, the spouse/civil partner of a British citizen will be eligible to apply for settlement (ILR) in the UK (subject to meeting other eligibility requirements).


After obtaining ILR status and having spent a total period of three or five years in the country, the spouse/civil partner of the British citizen/settled person might be eligible to be naturalised as a British citizen then apply for a British passport. 



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Sponsorship Licence


The UK Points Based System (PBS) forms a key element of the most comprehensive overhaul of UK immigration in the last 30 years. Tier 2 of PBS is now in force and has replaced the work permit scheme. Any employer wishing to sponsor a non-EEA national must first obtain a Sponsor Licence.


Once a sponsor licence is in place, the company can issue a Certificate of Sponsorship to an employee (or prospective employee) to progress their application for Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain and a biometric identity card.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Student Visa 


The Study Visa is known as Tier 4 of the Points Based System to allow study in the UK with a licensed institution and in order to obtain a recognised qualification. 

The Tier 4 Student Visa does not constitute a route to settlement; upon successful completion of your course you may qualify to switch into another UK immigration route without leaving the country.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa


This visa category is for those who are internationally recognised as a leader or emerging leader in the field of science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts.


There are limited places on this scheme and each individual must be endorsed by the Home Office prior to making an application for Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain.


This visa is valid for 5 years.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Tier 1 (General)


 The Tier 1 (General) visa used to be called the Highly Skilled Migrant programme. This visa is closed now to new applications and will be closed to all extension applications from 6th April 2015.


Tier 2 Visa 


The Tier 2 Visa is designed for who have a confirmed job offer from a UK company which holds a sponsorship licence. 


Employees can only be sponsored to do skilled jobs that appear on the Home Offices Codes of Practice and which are primarily management level or technical occupations. Applications are involved and the entire process from beginning to end can take months to arrange.


If someone holds a Tier 2 visa and leave the UK they are subject to a ‘cooling off period’ whereby they are not permitted to come back to the UK under the Tier 2 programme for a period of 12 months (some exceptions to this rule exist)

Applicant’s must met the following requirements:

  • Have received a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; and
  • Be in possession of a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your sponsoring employer; and
  • Meet the English language requirement and maintenance requirement


There are four categories under the Tier 2 programme:

  • General – Skilled Worker
  • Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
  • Tier 2 Sportsperson
  • Tier 2 Minister of Religion



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


Visitor Visas


There are many different types of visitor visas to the UK, mostly depending upon the purpose of the visit. Visits could be for business purposes, for study, or for medical treatment and for marriage. UK Visitor Visas are required by many foreigners wishing to enter the UK for short stays. Whether you need a visitor visa depends on your nationality, the purpose of your visit and how long you need to stay.


To qualify for a General Tourist visa, applicants must be visiting the UK for leisure. To qualify under a Visitor visa category there are basic requirements which must be met. Applicants must only visit the UK for a maximum of six months, show that they will be able to financially support themselves (if necessary with the support of friends and family) and meet the cost of their onward journey. They must not take up any paid or unpaid employment in the UK.



P: +44 (0) 1933 66 77 06


NOTE: All People Force International immigration advisers are regulated to provide immigration advice and services by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) as is required by law in the UK unless exempt. 

Foreign Exchange


We like to keep things simple at Transition and have partnered with Currency Online who, as an online self-service currency transfer specialist, will offer you the best foreign exchange deals.


It’s free to register and allows you to transfer from one currency to another simply and at the current market rate. It’s the most popular method of transferring your funds and you can use it to make immediate money transfers.

If you have time before you need to make a transfer, you can try to get a better currency exchange rate by placing a ‘market order’. This lets you specify the rate you’d like to achieve. Currency Exchange will automatically execute the exchange for you when the market reaches your target rate. A few days or weeks could reap significant savings.


Other providers may try to entice you with exceptional ‘headline’ rates but don’t be fooled - if you dig a little deeper you’ll likely find hidden charges. An attractive rate is worthless if the charges are too high. With Currency Online “The rate you see is the rate you receive”

The only charge Currency Online make to move your money is the relevant standard bank Telegraphic Transfer fee


For larger transactions (10,000+ NZD/AUD) they’ll wipe these fees

Currency Online Limited is a Registered Financial Service Provider under the Financial Services Providers (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008 – FSP Number FSP5401.


“Working through Transition has allowed me to retain a higher percentage of my income and with a more professional approach than my previous supplier, happy to recommend.”

Alastair, London (NZer)

Read More

UK Horror Stories

“London is great but I wound up on emergency tax without a bank account and I lost a great deal of money, when my friends were all high earners.”

Brian, London (Aust)

Read More

Latest offer: Rio Olympic Games 2016

Rio de Janeiro: T2UK ticket draw!

Enter the Draw

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for latest offers and competitions